Let Your Dreams Blossom
With holidays in full swing and winter temperatures upon us, it’s hard to imagine things blooming, and yet, here I wonder what I could bloom both personally and professionally during the winter months? Of course, January is just around the corner, and that means many people will be setting the traditional New Year’s resolutions.
I, too, like many I know, have set a New Year’s resolution into full swing only to have the resolution fall short in achieving the desired outcome. Disheartening as it is, it sets the stage for less accomplishment when a person gives up turning their TRIES into DOING. Thus many, don’t lose the weight, still drink more alcohol than they committed not to and don’t go to the gym, or any number of New Year’s resolutions.
However, what if I didn’t do that this year? What if I embark upon a plan of action that wasn’t about setting a New Year’s resolution and focused on my dreams and goals differently? So, I asked myself some key questions. Questions that would help me determine the best approach towards a goal I decided I wanted to accomplish for the upcoming year.
Key Questions –
- What is my WHY for the goal, the dream?
- What would my outcomes look like?
- What would the action steps be?
- What more might I accomplish with my business or personal life if I took the action steps?
Once I answered questions 1 and 2, it was time to devise a plan of action to complete questions 3 and 4. A SMART Plan can help us accomplish a definite and specific goal. What is a SMART Plan? It’s a plan that is –
SMART Plan – One of the many tools to success –
- Specific – what specifically do you want? Make it positive!
- Measurable – How will you know, along the way, that you’ve achieved what you want?
- Actions – What actions might I need to take to achieve my desired outcome?
- Reasons – What are the reasons why I want this goal/dream. List the positive reasons (what good would come of my doing these actions?) of why and the negative reasons (what bad/negative thing could potentially happen if I don’t achieve my goal)?
- Time – How soon do I want this outcome? Typically give yourself 90-days for a SMART Plan. If you need more time, there are probably some sub-goals that would help you get to the bigger goal.
Once I had the plan in place, I asked a good friend who is also a coach to hold me accountable and support me in my goal and the plan I’d established.
Just in case you’re not convinced that writing out a plan is the way to go – Here’s what else I know; goal setting rooted deep into psychology has helped those who take the time to set goals to achieve greater success. It is not to say that all persons living a life of “let life take its course” will fail. However, success at a higher level is not as readily achieved. Setting a plan and sticking to the action steps, course-correcting as needed, and focusing on the outcome goes a lot farther in attaining the goal.
“If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things.”
~ Albert Einstein
It’s also important to remember that we aren’t perfect. Having support from a trusted friend or coach who can hold us accountable and encourage us along the way can be of great value. They can assist in keeping us from falling short of what we want and avoiding pitfalls along the way.
Along with support, it’s important to continue asking the key questions and avoid the negative ones; otherwise, we are setting ourselves up for failure right out of the gate. So, we want to avoid questions such as;
Questions and Pitfalls to Avoid –
- Why don’t I ever achieve what I set out to do?
- Why do I always *(&^ up?
- Alternatively, whatever negative version the question is.
- During the 90-days, affirm what’s working and what’s not working, so you can course correct.
- Look back at areas of your life where you did succeed at your goals/dreams.
- Rid yourself of negative self-talk.
- Slow down and listen to what the cause for resistance might be?
Last thing –
More than anything, I would encourage you to do something different this year with your New Year’s Resolution. Give the SMART Plan a go and see where it takes you
- Let me leave you with these final questions.
- What does your future perfect day in your goal look like?
- What do you have to lose in giving the SMART Plan some good old-fashioned effort?
- What might your life look like next year if you don’t set a course of action this year?
- How do you want 2019 to look?
I’d love to hear your dreams and goals. Feel free to share them below. And, if you find that you’d like some assistance along the way – reach out to me, I’d love to help.
Love & Blessings,